bjnp backend and turboprint

Drucken über das Netzwerk
Antworten
llagendijk

bjnp backend and turboprint

Beitrag von llagendijk »

hello
I am the author of the bjnp backend for Canon network support. I am now working on the backend again in order to add ipv6 support, and fix a few annoying issues. I have seen a lot of cases lately where the backend reports a problem reading side channel messages. cupsSideChannelRead() fails with status = 5, bad message. I checked with the standard version as shipped with turboprint and it does not show that behaviour. It does not report any side channel messages either. This could explain why I sometimes saw the messages, sometimes not. I normally use my distributions version of bjnp, but when I update turboprint, I assume it get overwritten with your version that does not report the issue to cups (could that be made optional, e.g. on checking if the distributions version is installed?)

As I could not find the source for the 0.54zedo version on your ftp-site, I wanted to ask a few questions:
1) did you remove that side-channel support from your version (maybe compiled against a cups 1.2?)
2) What side channel requests does you printer filter use, if any?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Louis
zedonet
Administrator

Re: bjnp backend and turboprint

Beitrag von zedonet »

Hello Louis,

it's good news that you are updating the bjnp backend!

The source for bjnp 0.54zedo is now on our ftp server.

1) We actually compiled against cups 1.2 so there is no side-channel support in our binary.
2) Our filter doesn't make any side channel requests. The TurboPrint status monitor contacts the printer directly.

The TurboPrint installation script may overwrite your version of bjnp because it looks for a different version number format - we will fix this in the next release.

Did you find/fix any protocol bugs in bjnp 0.5.5 (I could not find information on version 0.5.5 in NEWS or ChangeLog)?
llagendijk

Beitrag von llagendijk »

zedonet hat geschrieben:Hello Louis,

it's good news that you are updating the bjnp backend!

The source for bjnp 0.54zedo is now on our ftp server.

1) We actually compiled against cups 1.2 so there is no side-channel support in our binary.
2) Our filter doesn't make any side channel requests. The TurboPrint status monitor contacts the printer directly.

The TurboPrint installation script may overwrite your version of bjnp because it looks for a different version number format - we will fix this in the next release.

Did you find/fix any protocol bugs in bjnp 0.5.5 (I could not find information on version 0.5.5 in NEWS or ChangeLog)?
Hello
Thanks for the confirmation that you do not use the side channel, so it is not really needed.

Changes from 0.5.4 to 1.0 are limited: 0.5.4 did not like certain (ADSL) routers that have the nasty habit (old AVM Friz if I remember correctly) to return a bogus name for a reverse DNS lookup while that name does not resolve when used in a forward lookup. Apart from that there is not much changed between 0.5.4 and 1.0. there is only a small change to ignore IPV6.

Version 1.1 will bring IPv6 support and some code refactoring. Sourceforge has the svn log (as I missed updating the Changelog, shame on me):
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r48 | llagendijk | 2010-11-27 21:51:37 +0100 (Sat, 27 Nov 2010) | 2 lines

Fix bjnp-runloop as cups 1.3 does not have CUPS_SC_CMD_NONE

r43 | llagendijk | 2010-11-26 20:41:26 +0100 (Fri, 26 Nov 2010) | 2 lines

Released 0.5.5 without further changes

r42 | llagendijk | 2010-10-08 23:21:11 +0200 (Fri, 08 Oct 2010) | 2 lines

Remove autogenerated Makefile.in

r41 | llagendijk | 2010-10-08 23:20:24 +0200 (Fri, 08 Oct 2010) | 4 lines

Added fixes for issues reported by Ron Murray in Sourceforge patches tracker ID: 3083455.
The MP990 appears to have some (?) IPv6 support, make sure we ignore IPv6 addresses for now.
Also corrected some minor bugs

r40 | llagendijk | 2009-05-29 22:17:42 +0200 (Fri, 29 May 2009) | 3 lines

0.5.4: removed autogeneration of spec file. It causes too much pain
No functional changes. No need to update

IPv6 support is already in svn on Sourceforge, I will finish the side-channel fixes sometime real soon now: I know what to do, I have something working but I want to clean it up a bit more. I will compare your 0.5.4 version to make sure I include the fixes you made.
I will let you know when I am done so you can hopefully test i before I release version 1.1.

Kind regards, Louis
zedonet
Administrator

Beitrag von zedonet »

Thank you for the information!

Best regards, Florian
Antworten